MHARV Walk for Mental Health Team Captain Packet
Thank you for agreeing to be a 2019 Walk for Mental Health Team Captain!
Team Captains agree to raise $10,000 for this year’s Walk. Please keep in mind that you do not have to stop at $10,000. You are welcome to raise more!
So, how does this work?
Goal of Walk: $100,000
- Each Team Captain raises $10,000.
- 10 people (including Team Captains) to raise $1,000 each.
- 10 people can also raise $100 each.
The result is $100,000!
There are many ways to raise $1,000 and $100 –
Just ask: friends, family members, fellow community members, book club members, running club members, bicycle club members, church group, sorority members, fraternity members, employers, coworkers, civic clubs, girls’-night-out groups, guys’-night-out groups, yoga friends, etc.
You could host a house party by serving fine wine and cheese or cold Coke and chips. You know your audience best, but ASK!
Remember: Funds raised through the Walk for Mental Health will go to help our Collaborative Clinic for uninsured, low-income adults, the only free psychiatric and medication management clinic in the state of Virginia; our Super Hero Kids program for youth who are survivors of domestic violence; Crisis Intervention Training for local law enforcement officers on how to deescalate a situation involving an individual in mental health crisis; and Mental Health First Aid, similar to Crisis Intervention Training but for corporations, nonprofits, institutions of public, private, and higher education, and other agencies.
As a Team Captain, you get to make a significant impact by motivating others to join your team and raise funds for this important cause. Your #1 role as Team Captain is to recruit team members and motivate your team to help raise funds for Mental Health America of Roanoke Valley.
Questions? Please contact Director of Development Rachel Fletcher at 540-344-0931 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you at the Walk!
Annie Harvey, Executive Director of Mental Health America of Roanoke Valley
P.S. See some additional tips below to help you as a Team Captain:
BUILDING YOUR TEAM:
- Provide leadership. Being a Team Captain means knowing when to delegate and when to take the lead. Recruit team members who can be held accountable to reach their fundraising goals. Stay organized and committed to your team’s fundraising goals as you provide leadership and encouragement.
- Stay in touch with team members. Send weekly or biweekly email updates or make calls with the latest fundraising totals and information! Provide any success stories for fundraisers on your team or even a story about how access to care and education helped someone in our community who has mental health concerns.
- Set a deadline. Encourage your team members to collect their donations online using Crowdrise. Click “Join” and “Create Your Own Team”
- Engage and Appreciate! Share inspirational stories with your team members. Use the MHARV social media pages (https://www.facebook.com/mentalhealthamericaroanokevalley [and future link to Facebook group for Team Captains and Walkers]) to share updates and any interesting stories with them. Celebrate team members when they register, make a personal donation, reach a fundraising milestone, etc. Write personal notes, make phone calls, or recognize them in emails to the whole team. No effort you make will go unnoticed or unappreciated.
- Use Crowdrise to share your fundraising page on your social media networks to ask for donations Click “Join” and “Create Your Own Team”
- Ask your friends to contribute to the Walk for Mental Health instead of purchasing a gift for your birthday, anniversary, or any occasion.
- Celebrate with your team as you walk because YOU are making a difference for members of the Roanoke Valley who are seeking advocacy, education, or direct services concerning mental health.